Saturday, November 22, 2008

Blog Experiences

I looked at Kelsey Volz's blog posts. She and I have had very similar experiences with blogging. Through conversations with her and through her posts, I have found that this is both of our first times experiencing what it is like to blog. We both have learned new aspects of technology that we feel will be beneficial to us in our classrooms when we become teachers. Both Kelsey and I are excited to use blogs and other Internet sources to add to our curriculum as a whole.
I feel that the plusses of using blogs and Internet sources in the classroom is that you open a portal of expression for your students. With blogs, the students can have a safe environment to talk about their feelings about the day's lesson, the upcoming test, or ask questions to others. I also have found that blogs and class websites are a great tool for me, as the teacher, to upload assignments, the day's lesson through a podcast, or tips for excelling in the class.
I feel that there are also minuses in using blogs and technology in the classroom. Some of my concerns are that the students will know that the information from the day's lesson will be posted online, so they may have the urge to skip class more often. I also feel that though I would create as safe of an Internet site as I could, there are risks of putting information about yourself and your students posting information about themselves. This personal information could open a line of communication for child predators to influence the students.
Overall, I am excited about the future of technology in the classroom. I will use these tools that we have learned about during the semester and hope that I am making my class as interesting as possible. Though there are concerns, I will monitor the content of the student's posts and consistently remind them of the dangers of posting too personal of information. I believe that this will open new doors for student interaction and success.

No comments: